Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sample Dialog from My Daily Walk with Zeus and Henry

I try to take my monsters on a daily walk after breakfast. We usually walk about an hour around the neighborhood. If for some reason we are unable to walk, Zeus gets very pissy (he'll make sighs and grunts and goes off and pouts) and then for the rest of the day he has way too much energy for a toddler (and the mom of that toddler) to handle. Needless to say this is very good motivation to get my daily exercise.

As previous posted in this blog, Henry is becoming quite verbal. So, to demonstrate his language abilities I thought I would give you a sample of our discussions on our walk...

Zeus: woof
Laura: Yes, Zeus, we're going on the walk.
Henry: Walk?
Laura: Yes, Henry, we're going on our walk. Let me just put on my shoes.
Henry: Shoes?
Zeus: woof, woof

(we are now out the door, headed up the driveway, and onto our regular route)

Henry: Zeus
Laura: Yup, we're walking Zeus.
Henry: Walk.
Laura: Yup, we're going on our walk. Slow down, Zeus.
Henry: Raj, Raj, Raj (translation = garage, garage, garage)
Laura: Yes, Henry, that's a garage. Is it opened or closed?
Henry: Closed
(a couple houses later)
Henry: Raj closed
Laura: Yup, that one's closed too.
(a couple houses later)
Henry: Raj, Raj, Raj!!!!
Laura: Yes, that garage is open!!!
Henry: Bidge (translation = garbage)
Laura: Yes, Henry, that's the garbage.
Henry: Bidge
Laura: Yup.
Henry: Bidge. Raj.
Laura: Yup, the garbage is next to the garage. That happens a lot.

Henry: Plane!
Laura: I hear the plane too.
Henry: Plane! (with distress)
Laura: I can't see it either. It's probably above the trees, really high in the sky.
Henry: Plane. Sky.
Laura: Yup, the plane is in the sky.

Henry: Raj.

Henry: Bidge. Down.
Laura: Yes, Henry that garbage is upside down. The garbage men must have emptied it.
Henry: Bidge. Down.

Henry: Truck.
Laura: I hear the truck too. Here it comes.
Henry: Truck. Bidge.
Laura: The truck is going to pick up the garbage.
Henry: Bidge!

Henry: Rock. Rock. Rock.
Laura: Yes, those are rocks.
Henry: Rock!
Laura: You would like a rock?
Henry: Rock
Laura: Please?
Henry: Peas.
Laura: Here you go.

Henry: Apple!
Laura: Yes, Henry, the apples are growing on the tree.
Henry: Apple. Tree.

Henry: Raj.
Henry: Bidge.
Henry: Rock!
Henry: Rock!
Laura: You can't have that rock Henry. It's too big. It's a landscape rock, I can't pick it up.
Henry: Rock!!!

Henry: Run.
Laura: Yes, that man is running.
Henry: (after the man has passed) Hi.
Laura: That's very nice to say 'hi', Henry.

Henry: Door.
Henry: House.
Henry: Bidge.
Henry: Raj.
Henry: Raj Closed
Henry: Rock
Henry: Doe (translation = window)
Henry: Tree
Henry: Mailbox
(repeat)

Henry: Juice?
Laura: You want some juice?
Henry: Juice.
Laura: I'm sorry, Henry, I didn't bring your juice.
Henry: Juice?

neighborhood dog: bark, bark, bark
Henry: woof
Laura: Yes, Henry, dogs go woof, woof. What sound does a cat make?
Henry: meow
Laura: Yes, meow. And what sound does a bird make?
Henry: tweet. tweet.
Laura: Very good.

Henry: Bidge. Down
Henry: Raj.
Henry: Raj. Closed.


... and we do this every day.

1 comment:

Docking said...

Having just spent an evening - including a walk - with Henry, I love this entry the best.