Saturday, September 27, 2008

Our September Disney Trip


Wow!  We have had a wonderful time!!!  Here are some highlights of our trip ...

We started off with a visit with our friends in Atlanta.  We stayed the day and night with HutcH's childhood buddy, Robert Story and his family (wife, Suzy and son, Carlos).  Henry really enjoyed playing with all Carlos's toys, especially the trampoline.  We also got a special visit from Granddaddy & Grandma Barbara (aka HutcH's dad & stepmom) who were in town visiting HutcH's half brother and his family that live only 3 miles away from the Story's!  On Friday night, the Story's had a BBQ for us and Robert's parents, plus Laura Moore and her son, Dexter (HutcH's friend from "early" APO days) came too!

By Saturday night, we were at Disney World, met up with our cruising buddies (the Mitchell's), and Henry already had his first set of Mickey ears!


Sunday morning we left for Port Canveral to board ths S.S. Disney Vacation Club Member Cruise.


Henry enjoyed exploring the ship, sharing a virgin pina colada & daiquiri drink with me, and watching the "Sail Away Celebration" where Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, and Pluto danced and sang.  In fact, he enjoyed it so much ... that by the time the appetizer for dinner at Animator's Palate was served ... he fell asleep.  


(and stayed asleep all night - so HutcH and I enjoyed the peace and quiet of our balcony ... alone! ... well, with Henry right inside, but at least we weren't chasing after him for a bit!)

Day 2 was spend on Castaway Cay (Disney's own Bahama island).  We had wonderful weather and spent most of the the day on the beach.  

In the afternoon we took a Glass Bottom Boat tour.  The highlight of which was Henry getting to feed the fish! That evening we went to a "pirate" party at Parrot Cay for dinner and then Henry and I went to the show, "Toy Story: the musical".  He really enjoyed it ... so much so that he actually sat for the entire show!  (I loved watching his face and his amazement of it!)

Day 3 was a day at sea ... which we spent with the Mitchell's (Mickey) poolside.



That evening the kids all spent some "quality time" together in Flounder's Nursery - while us adults had a LOVELY quiet dinner together at Palo's.

Day 4 of the cruise we were back at Castaway Cay.  HutcH, Henry, and I went for a bike ride around the island and then had lunch (which Henry fell asleep at ... literally on the picnic table).  We spent the rest of the day at the beach ... enjoying life and each other!



After we got back on the ship (and I realized I had left my brand new tennis shoe on the island ... Cinderella, anyone?) we got ready for dinner at Triton's and then the Mitchell's, Henry, and I enjoyed the Finale Show in which 3 of the Disney Broadway stars performed various songs for us.  It was breathtaking ... and apparently relaxing because Henry fell asleep, again (but I'm not complaining!).

The next day we arrived in Florida and then drove back to Orlando.  After checking in to Old Key West, we all took the ferry to Downtown Disney for lunch at McDonald's!!!!  And some fun shopping!  (I bought $50 worth of Mr. Potato Head parts .... what can I say, I'm a mom AND a play therapist!!!!)  That night we order pizza and hung out together.

And, Friday ... was the trip to the Magic Kingdom!!!


Henry really enjoyed the sites and rides.  The lines were all short - so we were able to pack in a lot of rides (even with 3 kids under 3)!  It was very festive there and decorated for their "Not-So-Scary" Halloween party.  Henry rode/saw the merry-go-round, Dumbo, Peter Pan's Flight, It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Aladdin's Magic Carpet, the Many Adventure's of Winnie the Pooh, the Tiki Room, Minnie's house, Mickey's house, the Country Bear Jamboree, the Haunted Mansion. and probably some others I'm forgetting!  It was truly a magical day!

Saturday we spent driving to Atlanta - where we graciously stayed at the Story's house again for the night.  Sunday we headed on our long journey home (Henry kept asking when we were going to go back to the Mickey boat!)... with a "slight" detour to drive "Tail of the Dragon" - which is an 11 mile section of road that has 318 curves through the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.  (and I didn't puke).

We got home about 3 am Monday morning .... and I don't think we've recovered yet!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I am so glad for your magical trip to the magic kingdom! It makes me so happy to see pictures and read about the wonderful time you all had.